Program and Services


Equine Specific Conservation Publications

  • Horse Stable Manure Management: Penn State Extension publication on managing stable manure.
  • Horses for Clean Water: Program developed by horse owners for horse owners whose mission is to help other horse owners manage their land for horse health and the environment.
  • Managing Small-Acreage Horse Farms: Oregon State Extension publication that includes pictures and explanations of equine conservation work that promote “green pastures, clean water and healthy horses”.
  • Horse Keeping on Limited Acres, Got Mud?, Got Manure? : Amy Skvarka, Nutrient Management Specialist from the Cumberland Valley Cooperative Association, as presented at the Lebanon County Conservation District’s Equine Pasture Management Workshop 2008.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. Horse farms were included in PA’s Nutrient Management Law in the 2004 revisions. Horse farms with 2,000 lbs of live weight or more per acre (calculate your farm’s animal density) are required to obtain and implement a nutrient management plan that follow all Act 38 regulations.

Yes. Although you not required to get a nutrient management plan, all operations that generate, store and/or apply manure are required to have a onsite written Manure Management Plan:

  • PA Clean Streams Law: prohibited to let manure enter waters of the Commonwealth (includes surface waters and groundwater).
  • DEP: All manure storage and land application must follow DEP’s Manure Management for Environmental Protection.
  • If the operation has animal concentrated areas (ACAs), an Agricultural Erosion and Sediment Control Plan or Conservation Plan is required.

Depends on the program and the type of horse operation. Below are the current funding opportunities listed in our Funding Resources section.

  • REAP: Horse operations qualify for REAP as longs as they have a conservation plan and nutrient management plan (if a CAO). If the farm is not a CAO then a manure management plan is required.
  • NRCS: Yes, horse operations do qualify for USDA/NRCS programs.

If a horse farm is interested in evaluating and improving the natural resources on their farm, the District’s Ag Technician is available for conducting an inventory and evaluation of your farm and explaining current assistance programs that you may qualify for to implement conservation recommendations.

The land owner needs to complete a Request for Technical Assistance to become a District cooperator.